With marmite toast

 An odd thing happened a while back

An early start 

to write a draft


The kettle whistled on the stove

My coffee black

with marmite toast


I sat and munched stared at my screen

The cursor winked

Hypnotised me


I couldn't find my writers voice

No words would flow

Only white noise


My inner thoughts deserted me

The page was blank

I was lost at sea


Three months trapped in this purgatory

No imagination

No inner speech


I forced myself to write some words

Used random prompts

Some nouns and verbs


Those words grew into short stories

An imagination

In hard copy


And yet the imagination inside my head

was still empty

I was living dead


The pain of not being able to write

became much worse

the harder I tried


If I couldn't write I couldn't live

My thoughts grew dark

Devil whispered negatives


My worthlessness became amplified

I sit alone most days

and cry


The truth was harder for me to see

A monster

Had his claws in me


As each new day came and went

so grew

my malcontent 


No bad reviews, encouraging words

no helping hand

Nowhere left to turn


I stood right on the precipice 

Wobbled on the edge

Below self destructiveness


I took the longer path that day

battled my emotions

did not give into pain


My monster well it's here to stay

for now at least

I can write again


It likes a slice of marmite toast

a black coffee

or it will eat my words!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Iceland

 “Where did you put it?” Dosan was frantic, as he turned the room over looking for the stash. “Back in the hollow, same as always” “Well it...